Engine Developments Ltd – Race Winners since 1970
Engine Developments is an independent engine design and manufacture company specialising in high performance racing engines and has been in business for over 45 years. The company has grown from a small engineering firm to its current status as one of the principal suppliers of race engine technology and support to the motorsport industry.
Past and present customers of the company include : Lotus, Honda, Yamaha, Mazda, Toyota, Nissan, and the Williams, Lotus, Tyrrell and Arrows F1 teams. With over 10 years recent experience in Formula 1, the company is well known for its innovative design engineering and its ability to provide a cost effective service to its customers.
John Judd and Sir Jack Brabham started the company in 1971 to produce their own competition engines, having previously worked together on the Repco Brabham F1 engines. Since then, Engine Developments has grown in size from a handful of people to the current 25 employees.
We are highly skilled and dedicated people with many years’ experience in the design and manufacture of racing engines.
Some of our achievements:
- EDL rebuilt and developed Cosworth DFV engines won 6 F1 Grand Prix between 1976-1983 and powered Keke Rosberg, driving his Williams FW07, to the 1983 F1 World championship.
- The EDL designed & developed VW F3 engine won all races in Europe for 3 consecutive years.
- The EDL/VW engine powered the British F3 championship winners in 1984 (Dumfries), 1985 (Gugelmin) & 1986 (Wallace)
- The EDL designed and manufactured Judd KV engine was supplied to all FIA F3000 teams 1996-2004. The engine servicing was carried out by Zytek Motorsport.
- First engine in F1 to weigh < 100kg.
- Victory at 2002 Daytona 24 hours.
- Victory at 2004,5 Le Mans 24 hours, LMP2 class.
Our engines have powered customers to:
- Multiple Le Mans series race and championship wins.
- Boss GP, Hillclimb, BTCC, Trans Am and GT championship wins.
Engines designed, manufactured & supported by EDL:
- VW Formula 3 engine 1977-1988.
- Brabham-Honda Indycar/F3000 engines 1983-1988.
- Judd F1 V8 & V10 engines 1988-1993.
- Judd KV V8 engine, FIA F3000 championship 1996-2004.
- Yamaha F1 V10 engines 1993-1997.
- Le Mans 24 hours V8 & V10 prototype engines 1992-present.
What we do
Engine Development & Testing
Make an enquiry
If you would like to get in touch, please call us on +44 (0)1788 541114 or complete the form below.